Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Counter cantering in the morning...

L. is out this week, so no lessons. I am quite busy at the moment, so Odin have had Sunday and Tuesday off, with L. riding him Monday before she left.

I was thinking on how he felt, and I think I was able to get him to 'sit' a bit on his hind legs with out that much trouble. It is still hard for me to judge the result on my own...

I did some trot serpentines and canter circles to begin with , it was a bit cold this morning, so I thought we should get going and get warm. I then did some side movements, he felt quite responsive so I think L. must have worked on that!

I then went on to do some counter canter. I feel both that and the leg yields are really helping me to get him a bit less stiff, and that in turn make it easier for him to respond to my half-halts.
I have not done counter canter without being in a lesson in a long time, so it was good to see that I could do it :). I think Odin was not quite straight enough, but he didn't change or break, yay!

he did feel better still after that, I really suspect that he is stiff (he turns 16 April 29th!), so I am trying to focus on riding him out of that on my own, without L. being there. And then practicing the half-halts! I still need to think about following his movement in the trot and canter (I really think my seat should be better in the canter than it is), but it is so hard to do all these things at once.

Oh, and my random thought about my half-halts today: I feel I need to push everything under me and behind me up in front of me using my stomach, seat and legs
I think I need to use a lot more aids than I should be to get through, but I like the idea about pushing the back half of him up and in front, instead of using my hands too much.

No comments: