Tuesday, March 4, 2008

half-halts, collection and a fantastic ride!

Yesterday I had an amazing lesson.
We started out by doing half-steps, which feels like a 'cheap' passage, a bit of collected trot rhythm from walk. It was fun, and I found the 'hind-legs under' button and corrected him going heavy on the bit out of it the first few times.
The point of all this of course, was to make me feel what I need to do for a half-halt, so I could get the feeling of Odin really collecting himself (which according to L. is one of his main features, he can do that if you ask him correctly).
I then did some really good half-halts in trot and canter, especially the canter. Because I corrected him for being heavy in my hand, he was a lot lighter than usual, the half-halt and demanding he stay up was really working! He felt really uphill.
I did some counter canter, and at one point I did a half-halt in the corner, where I probably ended up shifting my legs a bit, so he changed, and it was actually a really nice one since he was collected, huh what do you know, these half-halts are pretty cool... of course was a bit surprised so I didn't manage to keep my aids on a keep riding him, must remember those things.

When we then took a break, L. was asking me 'so you are going to show in the next schooling show, right.' ( I do think it was more of a statement than a question :P). So I said yeah, and she said that we would be showing First Level. First Level! leg yields, argh, I can't really get them straight! I don't even know how to do lengthenings! Well, L.s argument was that if we did Training Level, he would just run around strung out on his forehand, we have to have something to do. Which is probably correct, but still.

We got right on it and did some leg yields, a bit better but still not perfect. So hard for me to keep my outside aids on, and push him over.

In the end we did one lengthening, but L. said it wasn't really that much of a lenghten, I thought he was moving fast though, hehe.

I am actually looking forward to going to the schooling show (first weekend of April), since now we have a goal, and the lesson last night was so good I think we can do. I mean know, I know we can do it. I just need to keep my behind in the saddle...

No comments: