Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sitting back

So I have neglected to write since the schooling show, and I really should make note of all the stuff we have done since then, so I can remember.

On of the things we working on is my position. L. said she was afraid that if Odin would slip and stumble (the arena was a little slippery in one corner) I would fall over his head!

We did a lesson where L. told me to lean back. more. more! and I felt I was sitting with a 45 degree angle back. Going by the mirrors, I was just sitting upright... hmm. So I try to keep that feeling.

The other thing we did was longe lessons, and lessons where I was on the longe for the first half, and then riding afterwards. That was very helpful too, it helped me transfer the feeling I get for me seat on the longe to riding. Even having a lesson the next day is not the same. I can recommend this approach to anyone.

Speaking of which, longing worked a lot better, I think I had two things which helped.
One was letting go of my fear. I have still some fear of longing or going without stirrups, like all fear pretty irrational (it is not like Odin is suddenly going to buck and run off just because I drop the stirrups...).
I really tried to let go of it, in a visual way too. I imagined my fear leaving me, and flying out of the arena and away over the valley. In my mind I saw this ugly, black thing leave and drift away. Weird? Maybe, I guess I got the idea from an article I read on visualization, and it works for me, helps to relax me down into my seat.

The last thing which helped my seat a lot, both on and off the longe, is that L. started doing this thing where she went next to me on Odin, and pulled on my arm. She told me to stay upright, but not use my legs. So I had to use my core strength. I have never really realized how much you can use your core when you ride! Thinking of engaging those muscles instead of my legs and thinking of that 'feeling' helped me a lot, that is what keeps me in the saddle.
It also helps that I am working out with a personal trainer in a gym, and she helps me to strengthen my core and teach me how to use it.
Learning to apply that to riding has been a huge light bulb moment, and also helps me to let go of my fear.

So, some great progress on that front I think. I haven't video taped myself since though, but hopefully it will stick!

No comments: