Friday, October 12, 2007

Welcome

Inspired by Barokko's diary kept by my friend Eudiaptumus, I thought I should make a diary for Odin.

I have wanted to keep a paper diary, but I have not been very good about it. Hopefully I will get around to do this!

Odin is my first horse, and I have had him since March 25 this year. I started riding as an adult only 4-5 years ago on school horses, and I felt that now was the time to get my own horse so I could ride more and really get better. I found it was hard to make a lot of progress only riding 1-2 times a week.

Odin is 15 and quite experienced, his previous owner trained him to PSG and competed him a few times in that as well. One of my priorities was to get a safe, sane horse, and he certainly is. It does make him a bit lazy, but that is better for me than a horse that explodes and ruins my confidence.

I would like to call what I do dressage, but mostly it feels like 'basic riding skills'. We are working on response to my aids, and on my seat.

I have Odin in full training at the barn where I am at, so I have 4 lessons a week, and my trainer L. rides him once a week too.

There are unforunatly no really good trails where I am boarding, and most of the other boarders don't do much trail riding either, so I don't get a lot of trail experience, eventhough I would love to, and learn to be less of a chicken :).

No comments: