Tuesday, December 11, 2007

lessons

I had a lesson Sunday, which went OK, and another one yesterday which was excellent.

The weather is so cold, and Odin is snorting like crazy when I ride him. He is such a funny guy, it is not that the cold doesn't affect him, it is just that all he does is snort... No crazy bucking around.

I was on the longe again, and L. tried to make him canter, however Odin decided that he didn't want to do that with a rider on. Or maybe he was confused, but he canters fine without a rider, i just think he was being uncooperative. Anyway, it was some fun moments with Odin racing around in a faster and faster trot every time L. asked him to canter... we got about half a circle of canter in the end. Hopefully next time he will have a better understanding of what he should do.

The rest of the lesson was so great. I really felt my progress, I was sitting better both with the reins and without, even if holding the reins still make me fall forward.

One of my main issues is that I get slightly off balance, and then I tighten my thighs, which pushes me further out of balance, I am trying to stay relaxed and use my core to maintain my balance. L. has me bicycling my legs to stop them from tightening, and it seems to be helping.

After the longing I rode a bit regularly, so Odin could get going in a canter, and I could feel what I have learned. And wow it is such a difference when I manage to stay back, use my core strength, and don't tighten up. I still need a lot more practice, but I could feel what went wrong, what went good, I am so much aware of my body on the horse.

Still so grateful Odin puts up with this!

No comments: