Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Forward!

This Saturday and yesterday I had lessons, which both had the same focus: Forward.

L. had thought about how hard it is for me to collect and bend Odin, and decided to try something different, namely getting him going first.

So we started the lesson by L. asking me to trot and canter on the rail, especially canter, and canter forward! "Gallop, not lope! make him go!" So I tried to make him go, and I really have to get used to Odin moving with a bit of speed. It feels terrible fast to me, but it is probably just the speed I should want him to go in, also when he is put more together. L. told me to focus on the forward, and not worry about his frame as much, just giving steady contact and pushing. The lesson last night I noticed the difference when he used his hind legs to push more forward, regardless of the contact, that was the feeling I should be looking for.

It was a little scary, a little fun. I really wish I could go trail riding now, I think it would be good for Odin, me and forward.
Part of this was also to get me used to him moving and not crawling, and I think that it is really important for me to get used to this movement. The trot we also did while focusing only on forward felt huge. I had to shorten my stirrups, they have been stretching but I havn't felt until Saturday, I couldn't follow him in rising trot, hehe.

After going forward for some time, L. started to ask me to put him together and bend him a bit, while still going forward. It was easier to make him bend, even if it is still hard to keep the forward while putting him together. Also, I cannot sit his faster trot at all!

We also did legyields and transitions all while focusing more on tempo.

Yesterday I did a lot of transistions, trying to making him listen to my seat and not slowing down while making a downward transition. Very hard! I have a tendency to pull on the reins when I want to do a downward transition, which makes Odin lean on the bit and get long and sluggish. We did a 'communication' exercise, trot-walk from the seat. If he didn't react immidiatly to my seat, turn him a bit into the wall (instead of just pulling back). After a few tries, he got it, and the transitions came much easier.
The canter-trot transitions we did a little differently. I kept him really bend (a bit overbend in the neck even) and made the transition, this helped me to not pull back.
It is hard though, one of those things where both me and Odin want to agree to do it badly...

Then, after forward transitions, I was starting to have a half-halt I could try to get him to go forward out of.

I felt the progressions in these lessons where very nice, forward -> transitions -> half halts. Nice change instead of trying to collect him in the slow, slow gaits (not that all that hasn't been useful).

L. reminded me that I should always use the forward to something after I had got it, and not just continue to ride him around in a long, downhill frame.

This is definitely something I can practice on my own, and L. is going out of town the next to weeks, so we will see if I can be true to my intentions and do it. Most important thing is to be consistent in those downwards transitions. No pulling!

the forward stuff was fun, just cantering down the long side, and I think Odin thought it was a bit fun too. We were both a bit sweaty after that, though!

No comments: