Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Vacation, of sorts

these past two weeks have been vacation time, but I have been in town, since we were the ones who had visitors.
It did mean a little less riding time, and a chance for Barokko's mom to ride Odin. She did excellent, of course, schooling changes, half-pass and extensions.

I have been working more on the same, forward, with bend and on the bit.

The thing I have been thinking about is that I have to keep him a little bit bend to have him straight, and otherwise he will fall apart for me, due to his tendency to be on his forehand.
It is a little frustrating still, because I feel my skills are not there to do it, but I did have some really nice forward and uphill canter the other day.

Speaking of the canter, he was switching leads a lot in one of me recent lessons. I am trying to figure out if this was because he had been schooling them, and my half-halt on the outside rein was not executed with my inside seat bone forward enough, or maybe he has some soreness in his back or hocks. Or maybe a combination...

He does seem a bit more reluctant to collect on the right lead, showing discomfort maybe in his right hock? Odin gets a Legend shot every month, and there is a difference in how he is going right after and 14 days out, I think more than previously. I had his hocks injected last September, and was thinking that he might need it again?
I could also have become better at detecting the changes in how he goes, chasing that elusive 'feel'.

I talked with L. about it, and I think I might try an Adequan shot if the vet comes out soon, I don't want to do it on top of a Legend one so I can really feel the effect. From what I read, Adequan seems more long term in enhancing the joint fluid, whereas Legend is more short and direct. I would like to see if the effect is better or enhances the Legend, L. suggested to do it halfway between two Legend shots. I also want to do it while L. is in town, she is leaving in vacation soon, and I still need some help feeling everything.

On other fronts, I am considering going to a show this August, if the date works. Exciting! Terrifying! and I need clothes!

No comments: