Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Cantering, now without stirrups

In today's lesson we continued what we have been doing recently, namely balance/seat and transitions. After some trotting, L. asked me to canter. It has been a long while since I have cantered with no stirrups. I must say I have been a bit afraid of it, but it was easy. I follow Odin so much better without the stirrups, no way to push my seat out of the saddle! I also make my downward transitions a lot better, since I know if he gets into a bad, stung out trot, I might not be able to sit it...

In the canter and canter transitions we worked on straightness. I sit to the right, but when I sit in the middle, I feel like I sit to the left. I also find it hard to keep him straight though the neck and bend around my inside leg, especially the right. I feel like I loose control if I I don't keep his neck to the right. I probably don't use my inside aids. Use of legs, and keep my balance. More to learn!

I did the entire lesson with no stirrups, and now I am sore, but I feel accomplished :)

No comments: