Monday, July 28, 2008

saddle fitting

Friday the saddler came by the barn to look at 4 of the horses. Most of us have Schleese saddles, and have brought from this guy, who is the local fitter for Schleese (and also competes locally in eventing). It has been 10 months since I got my saddle, so a fitting was due.

Odin had already worked earlier in the day, it was hot, and I couldn't get him to go forward at all, not even one little nice trot circle! So the fitter had to see s at our worst, I really can't collect him when he doesn't go forward.

He took the saddle up in front, I could feel that immediately. IT seems like Odin's muscles behind the withers have changed a bit. He also did a bit of adjusting to the sides, he ended up being 95% happy. Odin is really unequal on his two sides, mostly due to me not being able to bend him well enough. The saddler even noticed that my right and left leg rests against Odin quite differently. It is funny how you never notice these things yourself.

I think it was very useful to have the saddle adjusted, and I just have to work on making his right side as strong as his left side.

No comments: