Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lessons again

L. was back about one and a half week ago, and I am happy to be back in full training. I must admit that I find it hard to motivate my self and be consistent, and not just jog around.
I would love to blame it on the hot weather, but the truth is that cold or wet weather doesn't make my any more motivated :P.

What was really nice was that even though I might not be 100% consistent, I could feel an improvement in our downward transitions, which I had been working on. It felt like we were communicating a little better. It was nice to feel that I could get a bit progress on my own, I not regress while I am riding on my own, as it sometimes feels like.

Most of our lessons have been partly without stirrups. The lessons yesterday I actually felt OK with it, not panicking, and relaxing a bit. L. makes me ride him and do leg yields and serpentines, the hardest part is not to hang on the reins, and the next thing is not to clamp.

Next step will be to not stand in the stirrups when I take them back, I relax more when I have the stirrups, but I sit worse.

We also worked on transitions, as I said they feel better, but there is still much work to make them forward, both up and down. Again I need to not hang on the reins, and stop clamping.

Yesterday we worked on canter transitions, it was frustrating, since Odin basically ignored me until I ran him forward while leaning forward and letting go of him mouth. One strung out crappy canter follows that, of course. L. had me correcting him when he didn't respond to my light canter aid, but it is hard for me to think about, instead of just 'doing what works'- aka running. I also need to sit to give the aid with my seat bones.

We did manage one nice trot-canter and one nice canter-trot, but it was tough. L.'s comment was that if I just sit and give the correct aid and keeps hims on the bit it looks great! Do that every time! hmm...

No comments: