Wednesday, October 31, 2007

On the Lunge

Yesterday I was feeling crappy, so my lesson was short ( I was so congested I felt like me head was exploding). Odin hadn't been ridden for 2 days ( I felt even crappier Monday), so L. made us canter a lot right at the beginning of the lesson Canter circles, canter diagonal, trot at X and canter again. Only hard part was to keep him from changing at soon as he hit the diagonal going from right to left. I have to keep thinking about right being the inside, any shifts in my weight he takes as a signal to change to his easier side... He felt nice and loose afterwards (hm, maybe a note for a better warmup?) and we did some leg yields and transitions. I was pretty much game over at this point though, so that was it.
The message to me was: "Ride the transitions properly, and only do them if they will be nice. We know he can canter!"

Now, for the post topic, this morning L. wanted to lunge me, and I agreed. I need to work so much on my seat! I have been tentative of the lunging since I lost my balance in trotting with no stirrups in August, but now was the time.

It was so cold this morning, frost on everything, so of course Odin was really frisky. L. lunged him a bit before I got on, he really worked himself into a fast canter with bucking and all. Yep, I really don't see Odin buck at all very much (takes too much energy), but today they were there.

That made him nice and calm for the lunging with me on his back, in the end of the lesson he was really ready to go home :).

I kept my stirrups on, so I felt more relaxed, and it was really great. L. made me think about feeling my seat bones and concentrating on that, it made me sit so much better.

I think this will help my seat and my riding so much, more lunging for me hopefully!

No comments: